Nicotine lozenges definition is that they are white, tablet shaped, dissolvable lozenges that help with smoking cessation. Nicotine lozenges are an FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) approved method as one of the suitable methods for NRT (nicotine replacement therapy). The purpose of nicotine lozenges is to help people in quitting using nicotine and tobacco products. Nicotine lozenges are important because they support people in getting healthier. Nicotine is a highly addictive substance that causes a lot of health issues. Burnt tobacco and smoke are the main cause for illnesses connected with the use of nicotine. Nicotine lozenges are meant to be used for 12 weeks under a strict schedule that needs to be followed carefully. You need to consult with a medical professional about your medical history to find out if taking nicotine lozenges is suitable for you. In the following questions and answers you will get more specific information about nicotine lozenges, how to use them, and their effect on health.
What are Nicotine Lozenges?
Nicotine lozenges are a smoking cessation aid, to ease the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal after you have quit smoking. They are white and shaped like lozenges, hence the name nicotine lozenge. Nicotine lozenges are FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) approved method for NRT (nicotine replacement therapy). In the U.S the brand names for nicotine lozenges are Commit® lozenges and Nicorette® lozenges according to American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. You do not need a prescription for nicotine lozenges, but it is wise to talk to a doctor or pharmacist before purchasing them to make sure they are suitable for you considering your medical history and the medications you take. Read on to find out more about the purpose of nicotine lozenges.
What is the purpose of Nicotine Lozenges?
The purpose of nicotine lozenges is to help people who wish to quit smoking with smoking cessation. They work by providing nicotine to your body which decreases the withdrawal symptoms experienced when smoking is stopped and reduces the urge to smoke. There is a strict schedule to follow when taking nicotine lozenges to avoid getting addicted to nicotine lozenges. Consult your medical professional before you start taking nicotine lozenges to make sure that there are no medical reasons that might make taking nicotine lozenges dangerous. From the next question’s answer, you can read about the importance of nicotine lozenges.
What is the importance of Nicotine Lozenges?
The importance of nicotine lozenges comes from the dangers of tobacco and nicotine. Since nicotine is highly addictive and causes health problems it would be better to not consume any nicotine products. Because quitting addictive substances is hard then some help might be necessary where nicotine lozenges come into play. They help with the smoking cessation by delivering small amounts of nicotine into your body. There is a strict schedule to follow when using nicotine lozenges to make sure that you get over the nicotine addiction as healthily as possible. The medication called nicotine lozenges is important because it helps people overcome their unhealthy habit of consuming tobacco and nicotine products by lessening the withdrawal effects. From the next passage you can read more precisely how nicotine lozenges help in quitting smoking.
How do Nicotine Lozenges help in quitting smoking?
Nicotine lozenges help in quitting smoking by delivering minimal amounts of nicotine into your system and by that making the withdrawal from nicotine easier. You are more likely to quit smoking (nicotine products) by using nicotine lozenges then when you would be without using any help. Nicotine enters your system as a lozenge that slowly dissolves in the mouth. It should be used according to the directions on the package- at least 15 minutes after eating or drinking. Follow the directions on your medicine package carefully, and ask for medical professionals’ advice if there are any parts that you do not understand. Use nicotine lozenges exactly as directions tell you to. Follow the doctor’s instructions to the point, to not take more or less than advised. There is a strict schedule to follow to avoid getting addicted to nicotine lozenges and get over your nicotine addiction. From the next answer you can read whether nicotine lozenges are a better substitute for smoking compared to vaping.
Are Nicotine Lozenges a better substitute for smoking compared to vaping?
Yes, nicotine lozenges are a better substitute for smoking compared to vaping. Nicotine lozenges are an FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) approved method for NRT (nicotine replacement therapy). Vaping is not approved by the FDA (U.S. food and Drug Administration) as a method for NRT (nicotine replacement therapy). Vaping does not contain any burnt tobacco or smoke but it contains nicotine and tens of other harmful chemicals in the vapor. Vaping also causes vape sickness. It is easy to get nicotine poisoning from using vapes, most likely cause of nicotine poisoning in the USA, because you do not taste the unpleasant taste of burnt tobacco and smoke. You do not even realize when you have been vaping for a whole hour while sitting outside and browsing on your phone. In that way vaping is more dangerous than smoking, it causes an addiction that you will not even notice. Nicotine lozenges are created with one thought in mind- how to help people quit smoking (smoking cessation). People use lozenges for quitting smoking – well proven track record. Nicotine lozenges come with a strict and well proven schedule that will help people quit smoking and live a healthier life due to that. From the next passage you can learn how to use nicotine lozenges.
Read more about What is Vape.
How to use Nicotine Lozenges?
For using nicotine lozenges follow the steps in these instructions:
- If you smoke your first cigarette within 30 minutes of waking up in the morning, you should use 4 mg nicotine lozenges. If you smoke your first cigarette more than 30 minutes after waking up in the morning, you should use 2 mg nicotine lozenges.
- On weeks 1 to 6 of the treatment, you should use one lozenge every 1 to 2 hours.
- On weeks 7 to 9, you should use one lozenge every 2 to 4 hours.
- On weeks 10 to 12, you should use one lozenge every 4 to 8 hours.
- Do not use more than five lozenges in 6 hours or more than 20 lozenges per day.
- Do not use more than one lozenge at a time or use one lozenge right after another.
- To use the lozenge, place it in your mouth with clean hands and allow it to dissolve slowly.
- Do not chew, crush, or swallow lozenges.
- Occasionally use your tongue to move the lozenge from one side of your mouth to the other to make the nicotine absorption more even.
- It takes 20 to 30 minutes to dissolve.
- Do not eat while lozenge is in your mouth.
- Stop using lozenges after 12 weeks.
From the next question’s answer, you can read about which precautions you should take before using nicotine lozenges.
What precautions should you take before using Nicotine Lozenges?
You should take the following precautions before using nicotine lozenges:
- Most importantly: Do not use nicotine lozenges if you are using any other nicotine smoking cessation aid, such as the nicotine patch, gum, inhaler, or nasal spray.
- Do not use it while smoking or using any other nicotine-containing product.
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist what other prescription and nonprescription medications – vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking or plan to take. Be sure to mention any of the following: non-nicotine smoking cessation aids, such as bupropion (Wellbutrin) or varenicline (Chantix), and medications for depression or asthma. Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications once you stop smoking.
- Tell your doctor if you have had trouble with the cardiovascular system.
- Do not use nicotine lozenges when you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Ask your doctor for advice whether it would be the best method of NRT (nicotine replacement therapy) for you.
- Keep nicotine lozenges in the container they came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children and pets. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). If you need to remove a lozenge, wrap it in paper and dispose of it in a trash can safely, out of the reach of children and pets.
- Unneeded medications should be disposed of in special ways to ensure that pets, children, and other people cannot consume them. However, you should not flush this medication down the toilet. Instead, the best way to dispose of your medication is through a medicine take-back program (take it back to the pharmacy).
Next passage will give you an overview of how many grams of nicotine do nicotine lozenges contain.
How many grams of Nicotine do Nicotine Lozenges contain?
Nicotine lozenges contain either 2 mg of 4 mg of nicotine. 2 mg of nicotine is equal to 6.144 mg nicotine bitartrate dihydrate. 4 mg of nicotine equals 12.288 mg nicotine bitartrate dihydrate. The number of nicotine lozenges you must take in a day lowers throughout the 12 weeks you take nicotine lozenges. By lowering the amount of nicotine lozenges, you take in a day you are lowering your daily nicotine intake. From the next question’s answer, you will find out how many cigarettes equals 2 mg and 4 mg of nicotine lozenges.
Read more about What is Nicotine.
How many cigarettes are in the 2 and 4mg of Nicotine Lozenges?
One 2 mg nicotine lozenge equals one and a half (1 ½) cigarettes. One 4 mg nicotine lozenge equals 3 cigarettes. If you read on you will find out the recommended dosage of nicotine lozenges in a day.
What is the recommended dosage of Nicotine Lozenges a day?
The recommended dosage of nicotine lozenges in a day is depending on the week of taking them (12 weeks all together). In the first six weeks of the treatment, you should use one lozenge every 1 to 2 hours. On the weeks 7 to 9 you should use one lozenge every 2 to 4 hours. On the weeks 10 to 12, you should use one lozenge every 4 to 8 hours. The factors that determine how big dosage (2mg or 4mg) nicotine lozenges you should take depend on whether you had your first cigarette in 30 minutes after waking up (4 mg) or later (2 mg). So how many nicotine lozenges per day you must take depends on how many weeks you have been using nicotine lozenges. From the next passage you can read about the benefits of using nicotine lozenges.
What are the benefits of using Nicotine Lozenges?
The benefits of using nicotine lozenges are:
- Helps with smoking cessation. Delivers nicotine without the harmful effects of burnt tobacco and smoke so the withdrawals are weaker and that makes quitting smoking easier.
- There is a strict schedule that supports smoking cessation.
- You can buy nicotine lozenges from the pharmacy without the need for a prescription.
- Nicotine lozenges are discreet and people around you will not notice you using them.
- FDA (U.S Food and Drug Administration) approved method for NRT (nicotine replacement therapy).
- Nicotine lozenges do not cause harm to bystanders – no secondhand smoke or vapor.
The next question’s answer will give an overview of the possible side effects of using nicotine lozenges.
What are the possible side effects of using Nicotine Lozenges?
The possible side effects of using nicotine lozenges are (nicotine lozenges side effects):
- Heartburn: Heartburn is defined as a form of indigestion felt as a burning sensation in the chest, caused by acid regurgitation into the esophagus. Nicotine lozenges are acidic (due to nicotine content) and heartburn is a common side effect when using nicotine lozenges.
- Sore throat: Sore throat is defined as a condition marked by pain in the throat, typically caused by inflammation due to a cold or other virus. Nicotine lozenges are acidic and that can cause harm to the throat which leads to sore throat. It is a common side effect of nicotine lozenges.
- Hiccups: Hiccups are defined as involuntary spasms of the diaphragm and respiratory organs, with a sudden closure of the glottis and a characteristic gulping sound. Hiccups are a common side effect of nicotine lozenges, but if they last for longer than 4-5 hours you should contact your doctor. Long time hiccups can cause health issues.
- Mouth problems: Mouth problems are defined as issued in the region of the mouth. There can be reasons for mouth problems: acidic content of nicotine lozenges, allergy to any of the ingredients of nicotine lozenges, other medical issues. When you come across mouth problems then you should contact your doctor immediately and they will give you directions on what to do.
- Irregular or fast heartbeat: Irregular heartbeat is defined as a problem with the rate or rhythm of your heartbeat. Fast heartbeat is defined as a heart rate over 100 beats a minute. When any of these occurs then you should contact your doctor immediately and they will give you directions on what to do.
Now that you are familiar with nicotine lozenges side effects you can read more about whether nicotine lozenges are bad for your throat.
Are Nicotine Lozenges bad for the throat?
Yes, nicotine lozenges are bad for the throat. Due to the acidic content of nicotine lozenges, it is common to have a sore throat from using nicotine lozenges. It is extremely important to consult your doctor about using nicotine lozenges and their side effects. Always follow the doctor’s instructions carefully in order to avoid damage to your health and nicotine addiction. From the next passage you can find out whether nicotine lozenges get you nicotine buzz.
Can Nicotine Lozenges get you Nicotine Buzz?
Yes, nicotine lozenges get you nicotine buzz. Nicotine buzz is defined as a feeling of pleasure, both a relaxed and alerting feeling. Nicotine buzz is caused by nicotine that artificially makes your body produce more dopamine (temporary effect, that causes body release less dopamine naturally). Since nicotine lozenges contain nicotine then they get you nicotine buzz. It is important to remember that nicotine is highly addictive and it is necessary to follow the instructions for taking nicotine lozenges carefully and to the point. Otherwise, you risk nicotine addiction, nicotine overdose and other health issues. In the next question’s answer, the difference between nicotine lozenges and nicotine pouches is brought out.
Read more about What is Nicotine Buzz.
What is the difference between Nicotine Lozenges and Nicotine Pouches?
There are many differences between nicotine lozenges and nicotine pouches. The main difference is that nicotine lozenges are meant to be used with one idea in mind – to help with smoking cessation or overall stopping the usage of any nicotine product (vapes, nicotine pouches and so on). Nicotine pouches were created to consume nicotine in a healthier way than smoking or consuming tobacco products (chewing bags, snus). But overall it is meant for continuous usage of nicotine products. While nicotine lozenges have a strict schedule and are meant to be taken for 12 weeks then nicotine pouches are meant to have purchasers for the rest of their lives. Nicotine lozenges come in two strengths 2 mg and 4 mg of nicotine per gram, nicotine pouches come in strengths 0 – 50 mg of nicotine per gram. Nicotine pouches come in all kinds of fun flavors to keep the customers interested in the product and attract more customers, nicotine lozenges are designed to be a temporary medication. Nicotine lozenges solve in your mouth while nicotine pouches need to be taken out of the mouth and disposed of in a designated trash bin. Nicotine pouches come in plastic tins while nicotine lozenges are packaged like normal medicine in sheets of plastic. The main thing to remember is that nicotine is highly addictive and the best thing for your health would be to stop using all nicotine products. The next question’s answer will give an overview of the difference between nicotine lozenge and nicotine gum.
Read more about Nicotine Pouches .
What is the difference between Nicotine Lozenges and Nicotine Gum?
The main difference between nicotine lozenge and nicotine gum is that the first solves in your mouth completely while the other needs to be removed from your mouth and disposed of in a designated trash bin. Nicotine lozenges are more fast acting than nicotine gum. On the other hand, nicotine gum will keep your mouth occupied for longer (chewing, parking) to keep you mind off cigarettes. Nicotine gums have got a larger selection of flavors than nicotine lozenges. The thing to remember is that they are both meant as temporary help to help with smoking cessation. Nicotine is harmful for your health and extremely addictive, the best thing would be to avoid all products containing nicotine.
Read more about What is Nicotine Gum.